Facilitation of large-scale participation can be incredibly valuable for the shift to sustainability.
Facilitation is very different to chairing and consulting. This role is both neutral and engaged, without taking sides or advocating any one view. It is about creating and providing the space, processes and support that people and organisations need to be able to freely and willingly communicate, participate
and collaborate for their common purpose and good.
Starfish’s participatory processes have been applied widely in conferences, forums, workshops and meetings for decision-making, strategic planning, research and evaluation. We welcome every opportunity to co-design solutions for your needs and draw upon the growing suite of facilitation methods to ensure they are most ft-for-purpose. Starfish has experience with World Cafe, Delphi Method, Open Space, Knowledge Cafes, Deliberative Democracy, Appreciative Inquiry, Strategic and Organisational Planning, Force Field Analysis, Storytelling, Technology of Participation and more.
Such highly participatory processes are able to utilise the collective knowledge, know-how and resources of the many people, organisations, communities, stakeholders and other interests which are relevant to sustainability. The benefits of participatory processes include increased understanding, shared agreement and priorities, and collective investment of resources. Participatory processes are central to creating effective collaboration and partnerships through stronger relationships and communication.
Ultimately, the results and outcomes achieved belong the people and organisations involved. However, Starfish’s facilitation can enhance the process to be easier and more effective.
Starfish’s current and past facilitation initiatives include:
- Armidale Aboriginal Memorial
- Ballina Major Regional Centre Strategy
- Biochar for Sustainable Soils
- Community Energy Congress (C4CE)
- Gwydir Vision 2030 Summit
- Homes North Governance & Strategy Retreats, Strategic Planning and Staff Retreats
- Myall Creek Business Feasibility Plan
- New England North West Biodiversity Alliance
- New England Sustainability Strategy
- New England Wind Feasibility Study
- North Coast Energy Forum
- Landscape Scale Biodiversity Connectivity Project Planning Forum (for Border Rivers-Gwydir Catchment Management Authority)
- Lismore Sustainability Strategy
- Northern Inland Regional Development Plan
- UNE Student Association governance and leadership development
Contact us if we can assist providing facilitation services for your work.