Collaborative Governance is a generic term for multi-organisational governance. Starfish uses this term to encompass a range of overlapping and different governance models including collective impact, adaptive, constellation, network, chaordic, polycentric and place-based.
What this array of governance models share in common are the principles of:
- distributed, shared and adaptive leadership, roles and responsibilities
- involvement of the many stakeholders, organisations and people who are key and/or affected by the particular purpose
- alignment of investment, effort and resources
- dynamic and holistic monitoring and analysis of complex and emergent situations
Such forms of governance are widely agreed to be the most able to address complex challenges and wicked problems as much as they are suited to enabling social and systemic change. They are at the cutting edge of governance theory and practice.
“Inventing the future requires giving up control. No one with a compelling purpose and a great vision knows how it will be achieved. One has to be willing to follow an unknown path, allowing the road to take you where it will. Surprise, serendipity, uncertainty and the unexpected are guaranteed on the way to the future.”
~ George Land, Breakpoint & Beyond
To contrast, traditional centralised and hierarchical governance systems often struggle to address needs or realise opportunities which are beyond their sole area of responsibility or control. They can also be sluggish and resistant to change.
Starfish has developed collaborative governance models for the following initiatives:
- Border Rivers-Gwydir Catchment Action Plan (2Mb)
- Coalition for Community Energy
- Coledale NOW (New Opportunities West) (1Mb)
- Housing Alliance Annual Forum
- Myall Creek Centre for Reconciliation (Intercultural Governance Model)
- New England Sustainability Strategy
- New England Biodiversity Connectivity Project
- Northern Inland Sustainable Business Network (NISBN)
- Partners in Recovery | New England
- Tamworth Youth Development Strategy
Contact Us if you are interested in discussing how Starfish can be of service with your collaboration, governance and partnership development needs.